Saturday, December 03, 2005

If they cheat, make em pay

My brother was watching the Lakers game a few days ago. Which led me to share my strong opinions about the sports industry. It just seems wrong to me that some 18 year olds are given the opportunity to start earning massive amounts of money. At times these men are irresponsible, immature and barely educated and yet quickly become millionaires. It's not fair that sports is such a lucrative business. But what can we do? We live in a capitalistic society so we vote with our money. What we value as a society is seen in which businesses are multi-billion dollar industries.

I don't if this was God's sense of humor, but the next day I covered science teachers who are basketball coaches. The first day was pretty hard because there were 20 guys running around a court and I had no idea what they were supposed to be doing. Then yesterday I listened and watched and hour of a game, with coach commenting on the plays. Before this I didn't realize that basketball has strategy and positioning. I guess I thought the only thing going on is, get the ball and shoot it. But yesterday I learned powerful phrases such as "If they cheat, make em pay". I guess I never truly understood how much of a team sport basketball can be. Because they worked well as a team, they won the game even though they did horrible at shooting.

The strongest image I took away, was how attentive the players were to the coach. There was no talking, everyone took notes and followed his instructions instantly. I don't think I've ever seen a group of students that were so engaged in learning. Team is key to learning.

No comments: