Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Education

Of course there are many things I don't understand. But there are two that I've been thinking about lately. Why is the US system of higher education the best in the world, but it's secondary education so pitiful? All over the world people dream about coming to the US for college. But working as a teacher you see so many students who can barely read or add in middle and high school. In LA a new requirement for graduation is successful completion of Algebra. Apparently this is an amazingly difficult obstacle for students to overcome, and it has pushed the dropout rate in LA even higher. Now of course with all the media, people are aware of the high dropout rate in the US. But why is there such a huge disconnect? How can we be so bad at motivating students to learn when they are young and yet able to churn out excessive amounts of Phds at end of it all? I guess what's even more interesting is when B1ll G6tes goes on 0prah to communicate a message to America. There foundation is really committed to improving education in America. If any one person could fix the educational system I guess it would be B1ll. And of course 0prah makes a great assistant.
I also don't get the immigrati0n issue. I don't understand why as a nation of immigrants people are so opposedd to immigration. They make a big deal about saying that they are anti illegal immigrati0n, not legal immigrati0n. I believe it is a ridicul0us distinction to make, because many of us wouldn't be here if our ancestors hadn't come to the US "illegally". So instead of trying to criminalize people for seeking out opportunites and working hard to improve their lives, why don't we design a more equitable immigration system?

No comments: