Wednesday, June 06, 2007

One week

In exactly one week I'll be getting on a plane. Each time I get ready to go on such trips I have to think is this a huge step of faith? Or is it some crazy idea that will totally fall apart once I land? Only time will tell. But I trust that our work will be useful and bear much fruit. What's awesome about it, is I'm forced to continually pray because I realize that I'm totally inadequate for the task before me.

In the past few weeks I've come to understand something about myself. I don't know who my friends are. This is why I get extremely hurt when people I barely know choose not to be invovled deeper in my life. And why I don't leave enough time to spend with good friends. It is so hard for me to understand this concept which is why I keep getting burned. But it's the double whammy of, I think that I know when I truly don't. Oh well, once again, time will tell.

i started reading the poisonwood bible. It is so scary. How can a person claim to be teaching others about God, and be so unloving to his family? How can you go to a different country and refuse to understand the culture and learn the language, and hope to share your beliefs? I haven't finished the book, and I'm pretty scared to find out what happens.

1 comment:

jt said...

yeah, poisonwood bible..haven't tackled that one yet. but anyway, i'm excited about your trip and will keep you in my prayers!