My favorite class so far has been applied exercise. It sounds like what it is. You study the body, how it moves, how it gets and uses energy and so on. One of out first assignments was to keep a log of everything we ate for two days and take an average. My average was 1600 for the two days which I thought was incredibly wrong. I probably got the wrong serving size for one or two things. I think my average should be closer to 1850 or 1900. But when I talked to a girl in my class, her average was 200 calories a day. I almost laughed in shock. 200 a day is a starvation diet & I knew this girl wasn't eating 200 a day because she is about 10 pounds overweight. There is no way she could eat that little and not be losing weight. Just sitting in class like we do burns at least 300 calories a day. Then we had to do an assignment where we write down everything we do for 24 hours. Everything means sitting, sleeping, studying, brushing your teeth driving. All these activities use energy no m
atter how small the actions seem. I found out I burn 1800 calories with my activity. Once again I was surprised that I burned so little cuz I biked to & from school which burned about 500 calories. But then I talked to some of my classmates who didn't workout at all & they burned 3000+ calories. Once again I was in shock. I'm like if you are burning 3000 calories a day and eating less than 2000 a day, why are you overweight?!! I'm gaining weight & I bike/ run 6 days a week!! So you who supposedly are more active should be skinny.
These activities made me suspect that most Americans are in denial. They think they eat less than they really do, and they think they are more active than they really are. Then last week I read an article in Oprah that confirmed my suspicion. They did a survey on normal weight & overweight people. The overweight people claimed they didn't eat much and had a slow metabolism. What the study found was that the overweight people didn't eat less than normal weight people. But they were way less active than normal weight people on an average day. The normal weight people burned like 1000 more calories a day from being constantly active, walking around, standing up etc. There you have it folks there it's unlikely that it's your metabolism that's adding the pounds. Get a pedometer and keep tracks of your steps. As for me, I have to focus on reducing my gut. I guess in my increasing older age I don't bounce around as much as I use to.
No comments:
Post a Comment