Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Travels

I just got back from a trip to Nigeria and I have to say I had a really great time. So many reasons why. First of all I had the chance to spend time with my dad. We spent a few days together. That's something we haven't done for a few years, so it felt really special. But after a few days we had to go our seperate ways. My dad lives far from all my other relatives and friends so it was getting too inconvenient to travel and such. So i moved to a more central location. I took the bus almost everyday. Since I love public transportation I was in heaven. Sure I got lost a few times, but no one stole my money. Occasionally people mocked my way of speaking but aside from that I survived it. And I was fascinated by the system. You can flag down a bus anywhere along its path, it doesn't neccessarily have to be at a bus stop. Each bus usually has a conductor who calls out the bus stops/ bus destination. The conductor is who makes the bus ride fun. You pay the conductor the bus fare, but the conductor has the power to set the price based on how business is going that day. Sometimes it can be higher and sometimes it can be lower(rarely). You always have the power to negotiate the price. If the conductor likes you he won't bother you much, if you displease him, he can be very insulting and rude, or worse, refuse to give you your change. Aside from the bus I had fun adventures visiting folk, sort of learning the language, and trying to find new food places. My most interesting experience was attending the Redeemed Christian Church of God Annual Convention. It is reported that there were over 2 million people in attendance. It was a crazy and overwhelming experience. The actual worship service seemed pretty normal. But it is indescrible to explain the crowds, and sights of being surrounded by that many people. I'm glad that I went though. It allowed me to see what all the hype is about. All i can say is that it made me appreciate small church gatherings even more.

No comments: