Friday, March 07, 2014

Bestseller

A famous pastor has been accused of buying his book a position on the bestseller lists. I read all the evidence and I came to the conclusion that he probably did it and it doesn't really matter for most of us.

Sounds like his church paid a marketing firm to promote his book. I don't see anything wrong with that. Perhaps they should have spent a little less on marketing but if the church leadership decided that they could afford to spend thousands of dollars on book promotion then so be it.

One argument I read said pastors who do this are decreasing the chance of gifted writers.  But what I've seen with the book industry is that only well written books last. It's kind of like movies and music. You can spend a ton of money and make a one hit wonder, but no amount of money can cover a lack of skill for the long term.  Every once in awhile there will be a megastar who is lazy, can't sing and can't dance but there are not that many of them. So yes you may buy a spot on the list for one week, but unless your book is good it won't stay on the best selling lists for months.

No comments: