Sunday, August 28, 2005

books galore

I went to this conference in a really cool place far away. It's strange because I consider myself an introvert. But I'm trying to overcome that by forcing myself to talk to people even when I'd be perfectly happy hiding in a corner. The strange thing is even though I can be reclusive, I LOVE Conferences. I love meeting people, finding out their stories, pulling all nighters and so on. But the strange thing is that the topic of this conference was burnout. Many people working for this company were experiencing burnout, so they had someone come give some talks about balance. He was a great speaker and said that balance is impossible. This was encouraging because I've never felt able to balance my time. Discouraging because if it's impossible why even try?

But the cool thing about it was that He talked about this book called "G00d to great". I've been meaning to read it since I got back to the states, but it took awhile to acquire the book. Anyways I've only made it to Chapter Two and it's amazing. He talks about what it takes to be a great leader. This is what he says of them "they embody a paradoxical mix of personal humility and professional will". So his main theory is that to be a great leader for the long haul, you can't be egotistical. None of the ceo's from his list are very famous. In fact I hadn't heard of a single person on his list till I read the book. These ceo's were so humble (ambitious- but humble) that they always took responsibilities for failures, and gave others credit for the company's success. Wow.

No comments: