Monday, September 10, 2007

Butterflies

This past weekend I had the opportunity to watch a play about the experience of child soldiers in Uganda. The play follows the story of a girl who was forced to become a child soldier when she was 12, forced to kill her father and then forced to marry a commander a few years later. Pretty gruesome and wrenching stuff.

I kinda liked it. Although the story was extremely sad, the actors did a great job. But I had a hard time with the American voice telling a story about the Ugandan experiment. This is because the story had certain aspects that seemed unrealistic because of some phrases used and certain scenes. It is just so hard to get stories told by an African writer, from an African perspective about the African experience.

Anyways whenever I watch plays or movies about this kind of stuff I feel powerless. I think what can I do to help change the situation?

No comments: