Monday, August 18, 2008

Adventures

August is a month of adventures and friendships. At the beginning of the month I was riding a train from Tenali to Chennai. I'm so thankful that I'm able to sleep in almost any environment. I was so tired that as soon as my head hit the pillow, in the over air conditioned cramped compartment. I slept so deeply that when they knocked on the wall to announce "10 minutes to Chennai", I felt like I had only been asleep for 10 minutes instead of 5.5 hours. Getting the luggage off the train was an adventure because all the luggage was with us ladies. We definitely had way more luggage than we could carry and we had to contend with the extremely narrow hallways. But we made it off and took a taxi to the hotel. I went back to sleep at 6am. When they knocked on the door for breakfast at 8, I was like forget breakfast I need sleep. Later on I woke up and ate 3 cookies and was glad I chose sleep over food. Which is almost always what I do when given a choice.

Chennai was interesting. Definitely a major city with major traffic. It was so different from Tenali which was a lot more rural and had way more cows and goats wandering the streets. We spent two days in Chennai, then I left for Singapore.

I had a great time visiting Sylvia. She is an awesome friend and I'm pretty sad that she moved back home all the way across the freaking world. The Singapore airport was really nice. I also loved the public transportation and the zoo. The zoo was well maintained and many animals in their natural environment.

Now that I'm back home I'm just thinking thru want it means to stay focused on missions and connected to the places I've worked in. I know that I won't be able to go on a long term trip for a few more years so what do i need to do now to get ready? That's what I'll be working on for the next 2 or 3 years. I'm planning to write a more extensive entry about my time in india over at ambulance4india.blogspot.com. It would be great if I get it done this week.

No comments: