I'm sitting here waiting for my friend so we can go running. So I decided to post again.
I've been watching what is going on in Haiti and with Wyclef's organization pretty closely. See about a year ago, posted a way to give by texting on her facebook status update. I was really excited about this because we are so technologically backwards in the US, especially with cellphone technology. In many third world countries people have been able to send money by text message for at least two years. I was really interested in seeing when we would have more choices and options with our cellphones in the US. And I just don't mean thousands of silly apps that help you find things near your house that you could figure out if you just walked around sometimes. Anyways so I checked out mgive and I thought what a cool organization, for making it easy for people to give by sending a text message.
Then even before I knew about the earthquake in Haiti, my same friend again posted to her facebook status update "text YELE to 501501 to donate $5 for the Haiti Earthquake Relief Fund". I immediately go online, see the scale of destruction and donate $5. Happily. I feel like that was the minimum. But what made me happy is that I had the chance to give to someone who is from Haiti, who returns to Haiti, who has his life goal the improvement of his country. He's not just a celebrity adopting an international baby, or somebody working on PR but this is his story. I also feel encouraged because I don't know of many successful Nigerians who are starting their own foundations in Nigeria. It's like we are all waiting for others to come start NGOS and businesses. Anyways, I have so much respect for Wyclef because he is giving back. As he says, he can go home and hire local people to do the work.
But then a few days later the smoking gun published some information that alleged that Wyclef paid his production company and himself for giving concerts in Haiti, and failed to file taxes on time. Now he has to spend a lot of time defending himself and his organization. But I think this is good for him and his organization. I think this will keep his organization in the spotlight a little longer, and also it will force him to run a more financially organized foundation in the future.
I hope that Haiti is able to begin the rebuilding process soon. I'm seriously thinking of raising money for Haiti instead or for water wells for countries in Africa. I have to decide soon. So many needs, so little time.
Oh, I fixed the link to thegiveblog on the side. So click on it and check it out.
No comments:
Post a Comment