Last Night I went to see a documentary called “The Ride”. It was so good.
I learned about this documentary because one of our lecturers sent an email that he was in a documentary. I’m thinking documentary, some low budget film. But it wasn’t like that at all. It was feature length? It was shown at the movie theatre in downtown and they had two shows that were sold out.
I love how I don’t know who celebrities are and I’ve lived in los angeles pretty much my whole life. So apparently this guy named Phil Keoghan(host of Amazing Race) decided to bike across the US to raise money and awareness about MS. I can’t believe that I’ve actually watched the Amazing Race and had no idea that he was the host. My teacher just said that he and this guy Phil biked across the US. So yeah Phil bikes across the US, his dad drives the trailer, and then he also has a cameraman that films the whole thing. It was just done really well.
So I start thinking about how much I loved this documentary and how they raised tons of money. But it’s just this one guy, Phil biking across the US. Whereas the Ride Well Tour is a group of almost 20 people that ride across the US. I don’t think they raised anywhere near as much money. Is it because we don’t care about kids who need water in Africa? Was it because it wasn’t a celebrity riding his bike? Although, the first Ride Well Tour, Donald Miller was one of the bikers and he is sort of celebrity, but I guess only in the Christian world. Or did they raise so much money because they had so much media exposure? Or was it because people are very passionate about MS and the MS society is super organized? I don’t know but it made me really think, because one day I would love to bike across the US and do a fundraiser and I want it to raise exposure as well as funds.
But at the end of the day, I loved the movie/documentary because it is amazing to see individuals live their life for a greater purpose. And at the end of the day that’s what I want to do. Not just to raise awareness about diseases, but about life and truth and hope and justice. Yesterday I gained two new heroes!
No comments:
Post a Comment