Friday, January 25, 2013

Facebook Envy

I've been trying to take a break from facebook for about 6 months. I really love facebook and find it quite addicting. But that's not why it scares me. I worry about how facebook will use my information and that of my friends. I like looking at cute baby pics, but I don't want facebook to know and be able to publicize my spending habits or my location or my interests. So this summer I deactivated my account. I tried to stay off as long as I could. I think I lasted 2 months. Then I rejoined and would deactivate my account about once a week. Finally I rejoined in November and have been pretty much on since. This week I read this article about how facebook can cause depression. That really struck a chord in me. For years I've kind of lurked around on facebook but don't really post that much. So now I am trying an experiment with myself. Everytime I go on facebook I have to post something or update my status update. Perhaps this will keep me from spending hours on facebook and admiring how happy and sucessful everyone looks, and how far behind i'm falling. I know all these things are false but somehow cyberstalking does not improve my self-esteem or encourage me to reach out in love. So maybe this will be the year where i take this blogging thing seriously.

No comments: