Sunday, March 15, 2015

Selma


I’ve been thinking about Selma for a few months now.

 Actually since November last year when I saw "Middle to Nowhere".  I didn’t really like that movie, but I really wanted to see how Ava Duvernay and David Oyelowo would bring to life the story of Martin Luther King.  December rolled around and I went to see Selma.  It was best movie I’ve seen in the past 5 years.  The story was told in a masterful way.  I saw the everyday heroes who were willing to die so that African Americans would finally be able to vote. I saw the courage, the discipline and resilience needed to make an ideal a reality.  It was inspiring and thought provoking.  I think about Ferguson and the Eric Garner case. What will it take for justice to finally be served? Will police officers be held accountable for unjustifiable and needless deaths?

 I do think it’s interesting that it took 7 years for the movie to happen.  Also interesting that if finally was released a few months before the 50th anniversary of Bloody Sunday.  It seems so timely!  Make sure you watch the Obama speech at Selma.  Also really inspiring.

There’s just so much going on in the world I can barely keep up.

For the second year in a row, I did not run the marathon, which makes me really sad.  I hope next year I’ll be able to run it. I really miss it.

No comments: