Monday, June 05, 2006

Thoughts on being a celebrity and AIDS, among other things

When I read Blue Like Jazz the first time, I was totally blown away. Actually I didn't really know what the book was about so I had a hard time understanding the first six chapters. But on later reflection I realized the point of the book. So I had to go book and read the entire thing, and I was in love. I am an avid reader. But I've found that there aren't that many enjoyable Christian authors. Many books are written like academic, dissertations so not very interesting for daily reading. That is what absolutely grabbed my attention about Blue Like Jazz. It was readable, it was fun, it was accessible, and it was deep. But as I have surfed the web, I have encountered many critics. The don't like the book because it seems to advocate a loose theology. This brings up a question for me. Does the truth have to be boring? Cause some "theologians" put me to sleep, and I'd never reccommend it to a nonbeliver friend. I am at the point where I will cheer for any author advocating a Christian view, if they can do it well. And that is why I will continue to be a Miller fan.

There has been a lot of media coverage about AIDS lately. I guess people are absolutely astonished that despite the incredible amount of research, there have been very few breakthroughs in creating a vaccine for AIDS. Furthermore, people are angry that most churces refuse to encourage "safe sex". Crazy stuff. The church is not a social/ humanitarian center. Many times our morality causes us to help people in need, but our morality is what motivates us, not good deeds. So if a church decides to start supporting safe sex, it has denied one of the essential teachings of the bible. The only "safe sex" the church should encourage, support, and defend is monogamy within a marriage relationship. I wonder what would happen to the AIDS epidemic if more organizations encouraged and supported this kind of "safe sex"?

Don't get me wrong. I am not saying that the Church should stop accepting and helping AIDS victims in the US and overseas. However, as we train the next generation of children and young adults, we muist refuse to merely put bandaids on sympthoms, but instead be aggresive in dealing with the cause. Until we have a paradigm shift in society and stop glorifying sexual promiscuity, AIDS will never go away. Even if we find a cure/ vaccine.

I am so glad that I am not a celebrity. I would have a hard with strangers giving me feedback about my marriage, family and mistakes.

No comments: