I just finished taking a Spanish class. I can't say that I learned very much grammar. I tried but although I understand the rules, as I learn each new rule it is assimilated in a blur in my brain. Although I didn't retain all the grammar rules I learnd, I gained more insight into some organizations, people and countries.
I have been interested in Cuba since 8th grade. I did this little cheesy report on the Cuban Missile Crisis. I definitely did not understand the information, but Cuba remained fascinating to me. Fast forward to Spanish class, we watched the Buena Vista Social Club and read an excerpt of a book by Carlos Eire. I guess I always had a romanticized idea about Cuba. Well the reality is grim, and the country has definitely suffered.
So I ventured to the library and checked out the memoirs of Carlos Eire. It was a very fascinating read. I can barely remember elementary school, and yet this author repaints vivid pictures about his childhood years, interactions with family members, classmates and teachers. He does a really good job of describing what life was like before the Revolution and some of the changes that started occuring with the new rulers. What was fascinating to me is that he and his boys had so much freedom to be destructive. Killing lizards, detonating gigantic firecrackers, throwing rocks, playing with bullets... So overall a good read and a great way to ease you way into finding out more about Cuba.
No comments:
Post a Comment