Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Racism

i'm always really fascinated by articles about racism. There is no question that racism still exists, but i think it's hard to know how much there is. Of course, we live in a sue-happy country, so even if something isn't truly racist, people will grab an opportunity to receive a few million dollars. A few months ago there was a big deal in LA, because a fireman sued the city's fire department. He claimed he was a victim of a racist prank. They (I'm not sure who) where going to award him $2.7 million. Then they learned that he was a regular prankster. So they decided not to give him the money, and try to determine if it was just a regular prank or a truly racist prank. This week I read that violence/racism between Latino and Black gangs is growing. Because the demographics of neighborhoods are changing, gangs of one race will sometimes try to force the other race to live. Very, very sad. And finally, this guy's blog said that Jonathan Edwards was a slaveowner. I'm not surprised. However, I wonder what the proper biblical response should have been in that day and age. I mean we can look back and say, so and so is wrong and i would never do that. But how many of us go against the norms of our society because of biblical standards? Another that confuses me is that the Bible doesn't speak out against slavery. In fact, it seems like it's ok. Does this mean that some slavery is ok? Or slavery was ok in ancient times but now it's wrong? I don't get it.

No comments: