Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Learning from everything

It's amazing how everything has the potential to be a learning experience.

So 3 weeks ago when I changed/upgraded phones, I had a horrible attitude. It's true that nothing worked, I was inconvenienced and so on. But what I failed to be thankful that without any effort on my part I acquired a much better phone at no financial cost. Not only did I acquire a better phone, I got out of a bad situation that I had gotten used to. See on my old phone, after charging the phone all night, if I had one 20 minute conversation I'd be out of battery. So I was forced to carry around my charger, searching for electricity everywhere I went(which is actually hard to find when you're always on the go), and ending calls prematurely if I wasn't at home. In my haze, I'd forgotten about this problem.


As I reflect on life, I'm trying to figure out other times when I've settled for the status quo. Even though "normal" was pretty bad, how many coping mechanisms did I come up with, instead of acknowledging that something needed to be changed, repaired or fixed? I know it's bad to generalize one incident and try to figure out a life theme and motto, but I like seeing everything as interconnected.

It is so weird how you can see a character flaw in yourself, but feel like you are making little progress in improving. Still I'm trying to learn how to be grateful for everything that comes my way.

In good news, I had the most amazing day on Sunday. I've been sort of stuck in a rut (trying/not trying) to find a church on Sundays. I've found a few midweek stuff that is awesome, but the choices on Sunday were limited. Well last Sunday, after church I went out with some folks for the service- for like 3 hours. Talk about fellowship. It's what I've been searching for, so I'm glad to have a taste of it. Now how to find a way to find that same kind of fellowship were I live... I'm trusting to God to provide.

In a random aside- This is my 9th phone. How did this happen? Well I lost my first 4 phones within a year. The insurance actually called me up and cancelled the policy. After that I got a lot better at holding on to my phones. Then I lived overseas, where 2 phones were stolen from my person. Like, a person bumped into me and snatched it from my pocket one time, and my purse the other time. Then when I came back, I got someone's old phone in the family. A few months later I received another hand me down. And now I'm on another hand me down. I find it very fascinating. But I loved my original Nokia. It's just our relationship wasn't built to last.

Because I want this post to truly be random, I just want to inform you that the LA times did a cool article on Lisa Ling. If you don't know who this journalist is, you should check out her work. And finally did you hear that vitamins might shorten your life? I read it on the bbc so it must be true.

2 comments:

shaunistar said...

i think that's a phenomenal breakthrough, one worthy of sincere reflection. with so much transition coming up, i'm thinking it's one i ought to keep in mind, blessings in disguise. and i've heard a theory that food shortens your life too. the more you eat the more you metabolize the more you sustain oxidant damage...to the dismay of this concrete thinker, many things in life take that steely gray color...

omo said...

oh no, food can shorten your life too? I can't stop eating so what am I to do?

And yeah, I'm trying to practice finding the blessings in disguise...