Saturday, April 21, 2007

i'm rich

As I sat down next to the homeless woman at the LA Mission, she started describing how she ended up on skid row. It was really hard to listen to her story and realize the suffering she went through before deciding that being homeless would be easier and safer than her former life. But the thing that stayed me with me for the rest of the night, was when she said, "i'm rich". She explained how dedicating her life to Christ had filled her with hope, provided new friends, and through the Mission, provided two meals a day.

I like to think of myself as a fearless person. But as I walked around Skid Row by myself last night I felt apprehensive. Well actually, either I'd want to cry because I'd see somebody setting up their tent, and laying their cardboard, or I'd feel scared because somebody was looking at me a little strange. Despite these feelings of sadness and fear, it felt like i'd finally come home. I don't know what I can do to help homeless people, but I do know it'll be easier to help if i'm in contact with them once a week. Walking, praying, talking in their midst. I'm really excited to be there.

No comments: