Monday, May 07, 2007

Media

Did you know that Mother Theresa died a week after Princess Diana? I remember when Princess Diana died I was annoyed at how much press coverage was devoted to the issue. For days the news talked about her life, the crash and so on. Then I got really upset when Mother Theresa died it got only a few minutes of coverage. To me it seemed unfair that one person's death can overshadow another's. Especially when one person accomplished so much in her life of service.

This is similar to the feeling I had when the Tech shootings happened. On that same day, 3 Christians were executed in Turkey because of their beliefs. It was a heinous crime. They were tortured, hacked and beaten to death. And yet I found out about it a week later because the attention of the media was elsewhere. I'm not saying that one crime was "worse". I'm just perplexed as to why the incidence in Turkey was buried deep somewhere. Oh well, I need to continually remind myself that news is about entertainment and shock, and not neccessarily the pressing issues of the day.


One of my friends from college was in town for a wedding so we had the chance to spend some time together. It was awesome. Why do friends have to live so far away? I wish everyone I consider friend could live within a one-mile radius of me. Since I don't know where I live now, or where I will be living in 2 months, I'm not sure where exactly that would be. But it is comforting to have unrealistic wishes.

No comments: