Tuesday, June 10, 2008

More India, Team Blog

It is very interesting. I didn't like half of my entries when I was trying to write every day but it did help me have more discipline. Actually think what I'm going to tell my loyal and faithful readers today?

Well, India is still consuming my life. This weekend we had a garage sale and an auction and made a respectable amount of money. Very hard work though. Now we have to think about what else we can do to raise the funds needed. We also have a team blog so you should check it out. It's ambulance4india.blogspot.com. You can see what we are doing, upcoming events and so on.

I don't really have anything to say today. I have a lot of thoughts about a bunch of different topics but don't know if i'll be able to articulate them all. Hopefully soon. I want to talk about why I'm pro sweatshops in foreign countries, against missions project with the savior mentality and so on. But man is it difficult to explain all the nuances of ones position. For now I'll just say about sweatshops, people wouldn't take those jobs if they had better options. so we shouldn't be comparing it to the US but to what's available locally. For instance if Nike pays $1 a day, but most people are farmers who earn $1/week, Nike's wage is reasonable. Besides what are the other options in some of these places? If there are no options we shouldn't be closing factories. But we should make sure the factories are not being abusive, controlling and unjust. How to figure that out I don't know.

No comments: