Sunday, July 16, 2006

Denominations or bust

I’ve been thinking lately. I know scary thought, like what are you usually doing?
Well anyways I used to think that Denominations were a good thing. Not the fact that there are thousands but the fact that we are free to express our Christianity in different ways. Other religions don’t allow diversity and impose absolute conformity with no regards to culture, time, or generations. However, I was reminded that denominations have always been precipitated by sin. Therefore, we should strive to deal with the issues of sins that caused the division and have the various branches reconcile. It’s just scary, because some branches are openly sinning now, so how can we be reconciled to them?
I feel like I am obsessed with friendship. I continually mourn all the friends I’ve lost. I understand the necessity because we are growing and changing, but it still breaks my heart when we drift apart. Is it pride, to always question if I did something wrong? If I somehow offended the person in question? I don’t even know why I obsess so much, because I have so many friends, now. So many great people that God has blessed me with, so why do I keep dwelling in the past? Partially, because I feel like so many of those relationships have no closure. So many times the person just stopped returning phone calls. And that makes no sense to me. If the relationship is over, shouldn’t it be a mutual feeling and agreement? Perhaps they just decided to stop calling because it seemed easier than calling me up or meeting with me, and saying- "hey I feel we no longer have anything in common, and you are a very boring person to spend time with." But I wish they would. Cuz as much as my feelings would hurt, at least I would have a solid sense of closure. I would no exactly what happens and where we stand. Isn’t it weird that romantic relationships usually have a conclusive, if not dramatic end, and other relationships don’t? Why are the unspoken rules so different?

No comments: