There is a book by John Piper called "Don't Waste Your Life". I think the main premise is that many Christians settle for less than what God intended. Instead of using their lives and talents to build God's kingdom, they invest their energy in having the perfect career, so that they can "enjoy" a long retirement. Ever since I read that book, I have become disenchanted with the idea of retirement. I see no need to save for retirement, since I have no plans to retire. I might change careers but there will be no plans for a 30 year long vacation. Therefore it was very interesting to spend time with my relatives from Nigeria. My uncle was very, very passionate about us preparing to retire by age 50, by using investment to build income. I thought about it a little, but that has no interest for me. It is a compelling idea. I just would rather not put my security in a retirement account. Is that strange or what? I am not anti retirement, perse. It's just that I want to make sure that everything I do, is for the ultimate goal of building God's kingdom instead of merely enhancing my personal comfort.
I love studying Psychology. To me it is sort of like reading the Bible. When you study both you gain so much insight into what motivates people. I think the biggest difference is that Psychology has no reals answers to offer for the emptiness in the human soul. The Bible does.
No comments:
Post a Comment