We've been studying the book of Amos at midweek Bible Study and it's been really interesting. It appears that the main focus of Amos is to proclaim that God is going to judge (punish) the Israelites for materialism, taking advantage of the poor- using them for cheap labor, and having a court system that punishes honest poor people. There are some other things they are being judged for, but these seem like the main thing. It's been interesting and challenging to think of the idea of individual and corporate sin. We know how to deal with individual sin. But how do deal with corporate sin? Because if you don't, you are still held accountable. One example we've talked about is racism/ desegregation. While MLK was alive, there were many pastors who criticized him for breaking the law and choosing to be involved in "politics". History now sees him as a hero, as a voice of truth, and a courageous change agent. But at the time he was villified by many, Christians and non Christians.
It's been challenging for me, because as I look around I see so much injustice in the country I live in. But I don't know where to start fighting it. Should it be with Immigration? Messed up court system? Affordable Housing? Human Trafficking? Unequal schools? Or what about the shabby way the Catholic Church is treating its victims? I think the last case bothers me more than of the others, because the very people who are supposed to be helping and guilding children violated their trust. And now instead of saying sorry and helping them- the Church seems to be trying to avoid their legal responsibility.
No comments:
Post a Comment