Thursday, May 10, 2007

Learning

Learning about yourself is a bittersweet experience. I feel happy to realize more and more of my weaknesses, but it sucks to grow slowly in those areas and feel like you keep making the same mistakes. I used to be so excited about my "analytical mind". By analytical I mean observing people and deciphering emotions and intent. Well now my mind seems like my worst enemy, because it messes me up with close friends. Why? Because instead of accepting things at face value, I think about them over and over again. And the more you think about it, the worse it seems. How do you turn off your mind and get rid of crazy expectations?

Anyways, I went to the VC Film Festival yesterday and it was cool. I enjoyed seeing the short films that allowed regular people to create and record history. It's my second film festival this year. If only I'd known these festivals existed earlier, it probably would have redeemed my opinion about movies. The only thing that was weird was that I was the only black person in a sea of Asian faces. I'm used to being a minority in an Asian setting, but this was the first time it happened in a non-religious setting. Weird.

No comments: