Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Continuation School

Today I went to a continuation school in downtown. It's right across from the Greyhound station in downtown LA. It's a very weird and not nice area and I feel badly for every kid that has to walk down that street. But for some reason I love working in continuation schools. Most of the students there have been kicked out of traditional schools for one reason or another. I hope the students realize the awesome chance they get by being there. A lot of them see it as punishment, or somehow inferior to their old school. Since, I am not a big fan of traditional schools, I don't see it that way. Continuation schools are smaller and more specialized. The teachers have the chance to know the students and challenge them on a more intimate level.

Although I enjoyed my conversations with the students I was saddened by the number of pregnant students. The students estimated that at least one quarter of the girls were pregnant. They seemed genuinely perplexed as to why there was such a high rate of pregnancy at their school. I have some ideas, but I don't know cuz I haven't been able to test them yet.

A group of people are getting ready to go to New Orleans for the 2 year anniversary and to help with relief work. I am so sad because I don't think I can go that week. I usually don't have scheduling conflicts so I'm not used to that constraint.

Anyways, even though I know my posts are pretty boring, I am going to try and get in the habit of posting everyday so I'll improve. So far I've posted two days in a row.

Oh yeah, I am supposed to be helping an NGO which serves refugees in Nigeria some computers(about 10- 50). I have no idea where to look for these kind of donations so if you have any ideas please let me know.

No comments: