Tuesday, July 31, 2007

it's not easy, but you got to try

This weekend my mom's organization held the annual Omo Yoruba summer camp. It's purpose is to teach kids the Yoruba language and culture. I always learn so much even though it is targeted towards children and teenagers. I get a little sad because we don't have anything like Saturday school to keep the learning going on year round. How do all those other groups do it?

Sunday was really fun because I had the chance to go to church with a friend and the message was really encouraging and meaningful to me. After church I went out with someone whose friends were visiting from Singapore. It was cool because we went to a Jamaican restaurant in Leimert Park, close to church. I'm always perplexed by why we usually go so far away for lunch. People usually choose westwood, brentwood, culver city when there are so many treasure in the baldwin hills/ leimert park area. After lunch I drove one of the girls from singapore to Costa Mesa. I learned so many interesting things about Singapore but this story she told about the education system was the funniest.

In Singapore if a child is overweight, their teacher will send a letter home to the parents. The letter informs the parent that their child is fat and will be enrolled in a mandatory after school class called T.A.F.- the opposite of fat. This mandatory class meets after school everyday for fitness activities. The child must remain in the class until they meet the weight requiremens for their height/age.

No comments: