Friday, January 25, 2008

John

We've been studying the book of John for awhile. I enjoy thinking more deeply about the words and actions of Jesus. I mean sometimes it is humbling because I realize that though I think understand him, He still had some very surprising things to say.

John 15 has been particularly interesting. He spends the first half encouraging us to remain in his love, love others and introduces the idea of servant friendship. That in and of itself is revolutionary to me. I always thought that my friends were supposed to listen to me, take care of me and encourage me. It's been interesting to be studying these chapters of love for so many weeks as I'm also learning to understand myself better and the crazy expectations I have of my friends. Then he goes on to encouragement by talking about hate. What a contrast. Love each other, Love God, but be encouraged because the world will hate and persecute you. It really seems like a strange encouragement until the verse which says - I tell you these things so you won't fall way. In a strange way it is encouraging. I think of all the times I feel like is difficult or people are treating me badly, and I do feel better knowing that Jesus did not promise that everything would magically be easy and smooth.

I've been reading this really conservative blog for a little while now. I think it has gotten very boring the past 6 months. At first I enjoyed it because he is a good writer, and even though I don't agree with his perspective, his blog had very interesting conversations. Now it is quite boring because I don't agree with him and he is writing about non controversial topics. Anyways, today he redeemed himself by writing article about what he learned from writing a book. The lesson I learned is to have a blog, and to write regularly. Also I don't need to have my book written out before I try to get it published. So even though my blog is boring, I'm going to keep going. Hopefully somehow people will give more feedback and I'll be able to hone the art of writing.

No comments: