I'm so glad that I voted! I didn't have to take a day off work or stand in line or deal with any of that craziness.
One of my friends and I started discussing the candidates. I read Obama's autobiography a while back and enjoyed it. I haven't listened to any of his speeches but his book resonated with me. I liked the fact that one of his parents was an immigrant. Also it means so much to me that his first job out of college was working as a community organizer. I'm not as impressed with candidates who worked for big corporations and have basically been rich all their working lives. I mean, Obama isn't poor now, but he's lived on a pretty low income, and worked with low and middle class income people and that's important to me. I don't know if he'll be a good president. But I must be honest. I didn't really think he had a chance. I never really seriously thought about him as president. Now I have to think about that because it seems like he might have a chance.
For the past two days I've worked at the same school. It's kind of weird because we use this school on Sunday for our church services. Today I had the chance to attend their faculty meeting. This was very interesting to me. Usually I'm completely bored because they'll be teaching teachers useless theoretical lessons. I get pretty annoyed when I feel like administrators are wasting teachers time trying to force them to learn a new theory. Anyways, today's meeting was different. Apparently this school, (which is doing really badly) is considering breaking away from the district. A group of organizations including the Urban League, the Bradley Foundation, USC and UCLA are coming together to form a partnership to support the school. The hope is that being independent of the district and having the community and two universities involved would allow the school to find something that works better for its student population. This is so exciting to me.
Suprisingly the teachers were very hostile at the meeting. I'm not sure if it's because they wanted to be somewhere else, working on lesson plans, grading papers, etc or if it's because they didn't like the ideas that were presented to them. I will say that some of the presenters did a particularly bad job of answering questions. On the other hand, since the idea is to come together and try to figure out a new way of doing things, there is no plan in place yet so the questions were hard to answer.
No comments:
Post a Comment