Why do some people have everything, and others nothing? Why do some people have life so easy and good, and others so hard and difficult?
Now on to the topic of the day: Hurricane Katrina. I learned two things that really shocked me. I guess it was common knowledge but I just didn’t know. So apparently hurricane season is almost an annual thing. Usually you have warnings, and so since it’s part of a way of life for certain cities, some people clear out every time there is a warning, and return a few weeks later. For some reason, I thought this hurricane took everyone by surprise because this city doesn’t really experience hurricanes. My question is if people are accustomed to hurricanes, why didn’t they get out quickly since it was supposed to be really huge? I know that many of the hardest hit people were poor. Maybe they couldn’t fly to Hawaii to stay with relatives or find a hotel in DC, but I feel like they could have done something(set up a tent in Baton Rogue)
Next, this is not the worst hurricane that has ever occurred. This guy worked in Bangladesh for 30 years, and they experienced regular and devastating hurricanes. In one hurricane, 500,000 people died. 500,000! For some reason, I don’t remember ever hearing about that hurricane. I believe Americans think nothing bad should ever happen to them. If nature gets angry and violent, well then the government should provide us with a new house, a new job, a new car and spending money. But whether we are citizens of the US or not, we are still people. And there are some things that no amount of money and technology can prevent. But here’s the flip side, even though we can’t control those things, we should be ready to help when natural disasters occur.
Actually, that is something that continually amazes me. Whenever something disastrous happens people start giving. People are ready to give their time, money and clothes, and that is so amazingly amazing. The media should chill out a little and cut P.Bush some slack. Sure the administration could have done a better job and they need to find out how. But stop villifying people.
No comments:
Post a Comment