Friday, September 30, 2005

streams of ideas

Let’s see, stream of consciousness. It’s kind of scary for me to write like this because my thoughts are usually all over the place. In fact I tend to lose people in conversations because what they’re saying reminds me of stuff that they usually have no knowledge about. Anyways they say practice makes perfect so here I am writing. I am pretty sure that I will write a book, but I am not sure when and what it will be about. I have brainstormed some titles: "Why my life is harder than hours", "Maybe you are crazier than you thought", Why I am proud to be American (not). As you can see, with this kind of thought process it will be years before I am able to write anything that anyone would want to read.
But I had this grand scheme. I would write an amazingly funny, witty, unique book. The royalty from this book would enable me to retire very soon. Never mind the fact that I’ve never really had a job-in the traditional sense of the word. I mean I’ve worked at 20 different places since I was 16 but they weren’t corporate jobs where I put money away in a retirement plan. What really inspired me was a book written by D0n Miller. Once again, I think it’s a book everyone should read. The book is called "Blue like Jazz". It’s a bunch of essays and sort of a testimony/ biography. What makes it unique is that even though it’s about his faith, he manages not to sound spiritual and uses normal, everyday language. Anyways, this book inspired me to write a book. It seems like a low key second job. Once I write my masterpiece I probably wouldn’t have to write again.
I am always amazed at how much I don’t know. Last week I read the obituary of Simon Wiesenthal. I had never heard of this man. It seems like he was somewhat important because the LA times devoted over 2 full pages to his life story. In case you’re like me and don’t know much about him, he was a survivor of the holocaust. He lived through 4 attempted executions while in Nazi camps. A few years after his release he decided to spend his life seeking the architects of the Holocaust.
I guess many people think of him as a hero. I don’t know much about him, but it seems so dangerous to live your life for revenge. Of course I am supposed to think that, but I think even from a nonreligious standpoint it’s dangerous. How easy it is for revenge to take over your life, and color your perspective about life and the world. I wonder if he was happy and joyful that he brought these people to justice. Or was it more like a cancer that ate away at him. Was it something that once he started he couldn’t stop, because there was always still one more? I don’t know. But it made me think of Corrie ten Boom. She lived through some of the same horrors. As a result of the concentration camps she lost her sister and father. Even though she experienced so much pain and evil, she chose to dedicate the rest of her life to preaching a message of hope and forgiveness. Which continues to affirm my belief that no matter what your circumstances are, you have the ultimate choice on your response.

Here’s my top 10 book list. It’s always changing but I just want to put it out here so I can update it annually.
1.Mere Christianity, CS Lewis. Classic, logical, and famous. You should have heard about it
2.Peace Child, D0n Richards0n. Don and his family go to a cannibalistic tribe. When he shares the Good news with them, they think Judas is the hero of the story.
3.Bruchko – Bruce Wilson or Olsen. One person in obedience to God’s call on their life can win cities, and change countries.
4.Through Gate of Splendor, Elizabeth Elliot. Inspiring, Challenging. Why am I even sitting in the US when I could be signing up to be a martyr?
5.Pursuit of God, AW Tozer. Practical steps and thoughts to help focus on who God is.
6.Morning Glory, Lavyrle Spencer. Most romance novels are really cheesy, but this one isn’t. It’s not your typical rich, playboy, billionaire falls in love with poor, suffering country girl. Instead it’s historical, deals with disabilities, prejudice and discrimination and tons of other stuff. Of course they get married, but they had to, they love each other.
7.Long Walk to Freedom, Nelson Mandela. 27 years is a long time. Anyone who is still sane after spending that long, deserves a lot of respect.
8.The Hiding Place, Corrie ten Boom. How to survive the Holocaust, with joy.
9.The Divine Conspiracy, Dallas Willard. Challenging, deals a lot with the Sermon on the Mount
10.G00d to Great, Jim Collins. Business Management book with lots of practical applications.
Good books that I couldn’t fit in, because I wanted to cap my list at 10. Top 15 list doesn’t sound as cool to me."Blue like Jazz"- Don Miller, "Eternity in their Hearts"- Don Richardson, "A Wrinkle in Time" – Madeline L’Engle, "The Friends" by Rosa Guy.

No comments: