Saturday, September 24, 2005

Willing to die

I still have nothing to do at work so I guess I'll just keep reading books. I feel guilty for doing it, but it is really hard to sit in one spot and do nothing for 8 hours. This week I read two good books. "Thr0ugh Gates 0f Splend0r" was amazing. It's one of those books that really makes you want to be a better Christian. It's also challenging to see that these men were willing to follow even though they knew death was a real threat.

Then there was "We are all the same". Also a good book, but definitely not at the same level. Here is a gripping story of one child born with AIDS in S0uth Africa. The boy became an international star and symbol for AIDS. He only lived for 12 years but he accomplished so much in a short time.

I guess it was good because it made me think about the church's response to AIDS. Are we obligated to do something? I think so, but what? It's crazy to read the numbers of people dying every year. In fact, I can't even deal with the numbers because they are too overwhelming. I can only relate to stories of individuals and their struggles. Which makes me think what will my part be? Will this be the issue that silently slips by?

No comments: