I started watching survivor when I lived overseas. It was a way to bond with my teammates. A few of us watched it together and then we’d spend hours analyzing. I started disliking the show as I watched different seasons because it showed the dark side of human nature so clearly. It seemed like dishonesty was always rewarded, and honesty was always punished. I also didn’t like the underrepresentation of minorities. There would usually be one or two blacks, asians, and/or latinos and it just seemed like they didn’t get a fair chance.
It has been really interesting watching the survivor with the teams divided by race/ethnicity. Without knowing any of the participants, all of a sudden I really want a certain team to win. What a strange feeling. Well at a minimum, I hope that it causes a lot of honest discussion about race, expectations and prejudice. Already I’ve started to hear some interesting comments. Like the one latino guy that didn’t identify with the others cuz he’s more into metal. How some of the Asians are uncomfortable with one guy that’s always telling jokes making fun of Asians. Fascinating stuff. Too bad I probably won’t be able to watch it for the rest of the season cuz our tv gets sucky reception.
No comments:
Post a Comment