Friday, October 05, 2007

Gas Station

I'm driving home after bible study and notice that I'm low on gas. So I decide to go to Florence and Normandie to buy gas. I usually go there because it's well lighted, close to home, and accepts credit cards.

There are three islands so i pull all the way up to the front. A guy comes up and ask to help him out, but I tell him I have no money. I'm happy cuz he's pretty nice about it and doesn't try to pressure me. I finish pumping my gas. As I turn around to take the pump out of the car. A car pulls in behind mine, and then another car pulls in behind that car. Then I notice a police car pulls in behind the last car. No big deal. I figure he ran the red light. But then three police cars immediately pull in behind the first police car. Now I'm thinking something serious is going on. So I get a little confused. Am I supposed to stay or leave? How should I leave? I decide to do everything as legally as possible just in case they are pulling people over.

I proceed to start my car and exit the gas station. As I'm leaving I notice that every police officer is standing outside their car, with their guns trained on the suspect. I also notice that there is a helicopter in the sky. In addition police cars are coming from other directions and appear to be approaching the gas station. I quickly head home and think how bizarre that all that was happening behind me and I had no idea something major was going on.

When I got home, everyone was like, avoid buying gas near the house at night. And I'm like what difference does that make? If somebody wants to try and elude the police officers by going to a gas station it can be at anytime or anyplace. So I don't know. I don't feel any fear, and I still will live my life like normal. I love living in the inner city and just accept that more stuff happens there. And until we work to change it, I just have to live with it.

No comments: