Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Good hair, bad hair?

Yesterday, I was driving with one of my friends who goes to school in Santa Cruz. We were talking about various people and one particular person came up. Apparently this guy used to wear locks while he was in college. My response was “I hate it when white people get dreadlocks”. My friend was a little taken aback because this had nothing to do with our previous conversation. But being a good listener, she asked me why. I told her that I have never seen a nonBlack person with nice looking dreadlocks. Usually people of other ethnicities (especially Whites) have a tendency to let their hair go wild, stop washing it and it ends up looking nasty, dirty, and ugly. After a short pause I decided to list some other things I hate when discussing issues about hair with white people. “I hate when white people say their hair is nappy, I also hate when white people say they have an afro.

I don’t feel like I can really do this issue justice because I can’t write all my thoughts about it. But I do get bothered when people say their hair is nappy, and this means uncombed and unkempt. It just seems so degrading to me to use a word that is a description of the texture of black people’s hair as a synonym for nasty and disgusting. I get really passionate about this issue in discussion because I feel that the whole issue of hair is intimately connected to racial identity and pride. Why do many black women talk about “good hair, bad hair”? To have “good hair” your hair should be less kinky and closer to the hair normally associated with white people. Having “bad hair” is a reference to those people who tend to be darker skinned and have coarser, and more kinky hair. These concepts are all intertwined in my mind so I take it as the utmost insult when people use a word that is supposed to characterize the nature of my hair as an insulting description of a person of another race. To me it seems like a double insult. And it is really hard for me not to go off on the unsuspecting individual who uses this word in my presence.

For me, part of taking pride in my racial identity was to start wearing my hair natural. I don’t think I have anything wrong with white people or their hair, but I refuse to change the way God made my hair so I can look like something I’m not. These twisted standards of beauty are a sick byproduct of a very superficial and minority driven media in the western world.

2 comments:

shaunistar said...

i guess we all have our button-pushers. like many black women, i have a love-hate relationship with my hair, but i've never had a problem with the use of the word nappy. i guess my definition is different. to me, it just means i can't run a comb through it easily...or at all, for that matter. which makes me want to scream sometimes. which actually makes me happy sometimes. yes, happy to be nappy:) when so much of my life is unpredictable and out of control, it's nice to know no matter how much i chemicalize my hair, the naps always come back. it's strangely comforting. i, too, have had my frustrations helping non-black people understand my hair, but consider it par for the course. i get more disturbed by the way people use the word "ghetto" as an adjective...

omo said...

ya, i don't like the word "ghetto" as an adjective, either. plus all the people who are unaware of the history of the word...