Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Facebook

I really, really want to write a book. But my problem is I don't know what I want to write about. Fiction, my autobiography, what? So, please if you have any ideas that I should write about, please let me know.

In July, Vanity Fair dedicated an entire issue to Africa. They actually did a great job. I'm a fan of the Economist, but sometimes it can be hard to get through their case studies. VF was a little better because it was informational and educational but never felt dry, or academic. In addition they did a good job discussing music and film. Whenever I read these kind of things, I have mixed emotions. I mean it is so sad to me that we discuss Africa, like it's one place and one issue. Can you imagine a magazine in a different country discussing North America? But then again, i liked vf's idea to show the positive. We rarely see the improvements and the success stories because the news we see is so skewed toward the negative. Anyways, I highly recommend that you go to their website and read the articles.

In more personal news, I had an amazing weekend. It's so bizarre to me. I feel like my life is at a standstill in some very important ways. But right now my social life is doing pretty well. I'm just enjoying really good friendships. Even friendships that were suffering and causing me alot of heartache and pain last year at this time, have improved and are so much sweeter this time around. I'm trying not to be as paranoid when people don't call me back two hours after I call them. Yesterday I got a little teary eyed about getting rejected from all the schools I applied to in the past two years. I was so sure my life would be on a different path this year, and it's a little disappointing to still be living at home with my parents, and getting in fights with family members over mundane matters. But as I ponder it more, I realize that maybe I didn't get in, not just cuz of academic performance in the past, but because I wouldn't be able to be as involved in church and all the community development stuff that we are trying to do right now.

I really hope I get to read all the books by Africans that vf recommended.

No comments: