I'm trying to take my titles more descriptive of what I'm going to write about. Please remember that this is more a suggestion than an indication of what I'll actually discuss. It's weird to me that sometimes I can't post at all, and then some days I have alot of stuff going through my mind that I want to write about.
A few days ago I watched this Planet Earth movie about conservation. One of the areas they were working to protect was the Congo. I don't remember which animals they were trying to protect but I guess they had given park rangers guns so they could shoot people who were trying to kill the animals that were in danger of extinction. The only time I'm listening to this I feel anger just building up in me. I'm like somehow we think it's more important to organize our resources and people to protect animals but can do nothing to protect the people who have been suffering atrocities and ongoing civil war for over 30 years. Even more ludicrous that in a war zone, you are handing out more guns.
On Sunday I was talking to a friend and she was surprised about some of my views on conservation. Most people who know me, know that I'm passionate about recycling and reusing things, I try to bike, don't use air conditioning, won't allow a clothes dryer in the house and so on. But I don't like it when western world countries try to push a green agenda on third world countries. First of all if I was starving to death and had to spend a lot of time working and getting food for my family, trust me my priority wouldn't be how I could recycle more. And so I think worrying about the environment is a luxury you can afford when all your basic needs are met. Furthermore, if you are living in extreme poverty or even real poverty overseas, recycling is not an issue, because you do not throw away things like people in the US do. If you are not living in a consumer culture you probably do not buy as many things that you do not need. I feel like these countries try to push their green agenda on third world countries because the first world countries need more land, or need more natural resources. They don't actually care much about the citizens of the third world country or their quality of life.
Another issue that's related to green agenda and conservation is the whole issue of biofuels. I've been reading stuff about biofuels for awhile and it seems like it's a pretty controversial issue. I remember that I've been reading about biofuels for a few months now. One of the things I read implied that biofuels are not a green fuel. They may produce less waste when used as a fuel, but there is a lot of pollution in turning the corn into usable fuel. In addition the process takes a lot of energy and is very expensive. Another issue that's come up in recent days is that the concentration of farmers on growing products for biofuels is causing a worldwide food shortage. So once again I wonder why are our fuel needs(driven by our isolation, consumerist, materialistic culture) be more important than other peoples need to eat? I think the best solution to oil issue in the US is to allow gasoline to become way more expensive, tax it at a higher rate and invest that money into making our public transportation system better. If people are forced to pay, they will consider other means of transportation.
Humanitarian Aid
I think it's pretty sad that Burma has suffered so much destruction because of the cyclone. But I've been very mistrustful about the way the media has presented the issue. They are trying to paint the Burmese government as the bad guys for not accepting foreign aid. I think it's a little ironic that the US is raising a stink about not being allowed in. We are the same country that refused all assistance from other countries after Katrina hit New Orleans. Many countries offered their equipment to help search for victims, food and other stuff, and the US was like no thanks. I don't know what the Burmese government should do, but I think they are right to be a little mistrustful of foreign "help".
No comments:
Post a Comment