Friday, May 02, 2008

Earth Day and Rev. Wright

Today I got assigned to Manual Arts. Today the Science Club also organized Earth Day. I loved Earth Day last year so I knew it was going to be a good day. Earth Day is when students and teachers organize the presentations and games about various topics. They have booths about ozone depletion, acid rain, compost, recycling and causes of animal extinction. In addition there are fun activities like face painting, tug of war, pie throwing, ring toss and so on. I enjoy it because I think this is more of what education should be. Students researching topics and teaching and sharing their knowledge with others. However it is alot of work. I mean the students and teachers have been preparing for months for one day of activities.

What was also clear was the dedication and love the teachers have for the students. I remember on this day last year, I also felt this tug to be a teacher. To truly invest in the lives of young people and share about a cause that I'm passionate about. However, I think it's just a feeling.

I've been thinking alot about Obama and Rev. Wright. When stuff started blowing up again about the pastor's comments, I felt something happened. I started thinking why did the pastor do it? Did Obama do something to him to make him really hate him? Also, how in the world do you go to a church for 20 years and not know the kinds of things your pastor says? So maybe Wright got tired of Obama trying to pretend he'd never heard these things. Now I don't think Obama is completely honest. I just think he's the best candidate that is running right now. I hope that side issues don't completely derail his candidacy.

No comments: