Monday, May 05, 2008

India Fundraiser

I'm not sure if I've mentioned this but I'm traveling with a group of people to India this summer. Yeah!! In addition to helping out with a local organization, we are raising money to buy them a brand new ambulance.

Our first fundraiser for this purpose was this Saturday. We went to a park and held a football tournament. Since I know almost nothing about football, I volunteered to collect the money. I was surprised by how much fun I had. We had four teams playing and some of the people were quite good. A few women came out but only about 5. They were kind of astonished at the underrepresentation of women!! Most of my time was spent hanging out at the table and talking to the various people who came by. Of course the competitive spirit was enhanced by the fact that we had many students from 2 local universities who are big rivals. Hopefully it was all in fun though.

I'm getting more and more excited about the trip. Although I'm constantly surprised by the amount of work and the time committment we've put into preparation, I'm encouraged by people's hard work and team spirit.

What is also cool is that another group is traveling to Nigeria. Since I have a vested interest in where they are going, it's fun to talk to them and see how they are preparing and trying to learn the culture!!

On Sunday we shared about our Malawi trip. That was cool and it'll be nice to see how we can get people more involved for the long term.

No comments: