Have I ever mentioned that I hate homeschooling? Well not all forms of homeschooling. I don't enjoy when people take their children out of schools for religious reasons. For instance, a lot of conservative christians are very worried and afraid for their children's safety and morality. They think if they go to public school they might learn about evolution, talk to a gang member, or have a homosexual teacher. What I don't get is how people are supposed to meet christians if we all sit at home for school. And furthermore when these kids who have been super protected from everything finally graduate from school and college and get jobs, will they be able to handle a boss who is homosexual? Or a coworker who is loves studying and talking about evolution? I don't know. I just don't understand why we don't trust in God's power to take care of us wherever we are. Instead we do everything we can to live in safe neighborhoods and live away from "dangerous things" and "dangerous people". These are the very people and the very places we should be going to. I mean Jesus hung out with sick people, thieves, murderers and tax collectors.
I recently met someone who has a son who works as a police officer in my neighborhood. I told her, that they have this program where police officers can buy houses for half price if they live in the neighborhood. Her response was that her son wants his kids to go to safe schools. I was like? huh? You would rather drive 40 miles oneway in traffic than live in the neighborhood you work in? You think that your kids deserve better than the kids in the area you work in? If you send your kids to the local schools you will be able to identify better with the challenges that young people have, and you will probably be a better advocate for the school and community issues.
No comments:
Post a Comment