Friday, April 18, 2008

Running out of topics

I read this fundamentalist blog, you know so I can be challenged in my thinking. But anyway at the bottom of his blog he has a llittle thing that keeps county of how many consecutive days he has blogged. I think he's updated his blog everyday for over 3 years so it says something like he's blogged for 1631 days. Wow. If I had a marker it would say I have now blogged 3 consecutive days. This is a record for me. I'm not sure how it'll go on Saturday and Sunday cuz I won't be near a computer but we will see.

I've been thinking of moving out from home for a very long time. I thought this would be the summer I do it. But as continue thinking about it, I'm not sure. How much am I willing to pay for independence. Even though I will not consider living somewhere that costs more than $500 a month in rent, even that looks expensive to me now. I have to reconsider how important it is for me to be independent. My family can be difficult to live with sometimes, but most of the time it's not a big deal. I

Now on to Malawi. One of the things that stood out to me was how hard it was to find a trash can. Everywhere we went, we had to search for trash cans. I think this is because they use a lot less packaging than we do. For instance, I didn't see anybody walking around eating snacks(like us). Another issue, is they seemed to have a better ability to estimate what they need, so they don't have a bunch of waste and excess in terms of food. It really made me realize how much of a throw away culture we live in. I have a really embarassing story about the lack of trash cans. So we go visit this ministry site. It's pretty bare bones, but they have this amazing bathroom, with a modern flushing toilet and everything, but no trash can. I have this huge dilemma because I had to use the bathroom, and I had to get rid of some non flushable trash. So I find a woman and I'm so excited. She speaks no English. I try gesture explanation but it didn't work. The only people who work there who speak English are two guys. I ask one where the trash can is. First off, he doesn't understand. I explain a little bit more, and he's like 'oh I can take it'. I'm like um, you can't. More confusion. He walks me to the trashcan which is really far away. I have to pass everyone in my team on the way. Then when I get to the trash can, it's very small and it's completely empty. The guy is just standing there waiting for me to throw away my trash. I keep hoping he'll go away but after a minute or two I realize he is just going to wait for me out of extreme politeness. With no other option, I place it in the trash and we walked away. I have some other embarrassing stories from Malawi that I will share another day.

No comments: