Tuesday, April 08, 2008

Malawi and Life

I came back from Malawi this weekend and it was a bittersweet trip. I loved getting to know 16 people who absolutely love the Lord and would like to take action to spread God's love and fight poverty. On the other hand I felt greatly saddened by the images of poverty I saw everyday in the village. I think what struck me hardest is realizing I could be one of those children. Why is it that my parents left Nigeria and came to the US? Why do I have so many things just because of the place I was born?

I feel like I came back with more questions than answers. How can I use the resources I have to help those that have so little? How do we as Christians and the church engage and be part of the solution? I want to help, but I don't want to make the same mistake that many outsiders do when they destroy cultures and create dependency.

I will say that the coolest thing about coming back to Newsong is the people. I am surprised by how many people want to know how the trip went. They actually noticed that I was gone and are interested in hearing more now that I'm back. Such a good feeling.

No comments: