Monday, April 21, 2008

Steve Lopez

There are a few columnists whose writing I like to read. One is a guy named John Matshikiza who used to write for the Mail & Guardian. But he resigned because he didn't appreciate the fact that he was accused him of racism for observing the effects of Chinese people in the South African marketpalce. Anyways, my second favorite columnist, after John is Steve Lopez. He writes about all sorts of different things that I can't remember right now. But he has devoted a lot of time and attention to writing about Skid Row and the problem of homelessness in LA. As a result of his investigations into this issue, he met a guy who who was an amazing classical musician. Through their friendship, Lopez helped him get a job as a musician and I think this guy now has an apartment. Lopez has written a book about their friendship and I plan to get it. It's called "The Soloist".

No comments: